After you do the initial setup for your trolling motor by deploying it into the water, one of the vital roles played while running and controlling the motor is through a foot switch.
However, there is also hand control available for trolling motors but usually, boat lovers… especially fish lovers prefer to have a hand-free movement for more flexibility and comfort, which a trolling motor foot switch can provide.
What is Trolling Motor Foot Switch
A trolling motor foot switch is an electronic device that you can use by your foot to operate and control your trolling motor. You can stand on the foot pedal to control the trolling motor, making your hands free for other things.
Trolling motor foot switch can be easily mounted on the front of your boat and helps to pull the boat through the water. It may consist of a single operation to switch on and switch off your trolling motor or can have multiple operational buttons to help to change directions and speed, etc.
Types of Trolling Motor Foot Switch
There are three options for trolling motor foot switch that you can choose and are as below:
1. Conventional Foot Steer – These types of foot switch include the pedal on the trolling motor mounted with a cable. You may experience a little discomfort when moving around the boat as the cable is quite stiff.
2. Electric Steer Foot Switch – With the electric food pedals, there is a lengthy electric cable that is attached between the foot switch and the engine. You can place the foot switch in any suitable steering position as the pedal is not fixed to the floor of a boat or ship.
3. Wireless Foot Switch – Another type of foot switch available for trolling motor is the wireless pedals. You can place the foot switch anywhere on the boat. The wireless foot switch is completely cable-free… so you don’t get anything on your way.
Benefits of Trolling Motor Foot Switch
A trolling foot switch has many advantages over the hand-controlled trolling motors which are as below:
- You do not need to compromise, trying to fish and operating a trolling motor at the same time.
- The foot switch is flexible to be mounted anywhere on a boat with a long cable or the wireless option.
- Just pressing down the switch with your foot will turn on the trolling motor, and you don’t need to reach the trolling motorhead.
- Foot switch is beneficial in shallow water as they protect stumps, weeds, or other things.
- Foot pedal trolling motors are rugged and responsive and usually help you with accuracy.
Our 5 Best Trolling Motor Foot Switches
1. AQUOS Black Haswing Cayman Foot Controller
A wonderful product for bow mount electric trolling motor with an ergonomic design that gives you the comfort for easy and precise speed control. You can release your hands and focus on other activities with the amazing foot pedal.
The foot controller features buttons to adjust the trolling speed, activate or stop the motor. You also get two buttons to control the direction and turn the trolling motor left side or right side. There is a digital display that allows you to read battery, speed, direction, and motor status.
You get a 14.7 feet cable with the cable steer foot pedal that makes it easy to use it in a moderate size boat. Just press the key on foot control by the heel and use the footrest for changing the trolling motor position.
- Electric Steer Trolling motor foot switch.
- Digital screen for readouts.
- Trolling motor speed control.
- Buttons to turn the motor left or right.
- 14.7 feet long cable included.
- Great foot switch for a bass boat, Jon boat, Pontoon boat, and Inflatable boat.
- Spinning footrest for comfort.
- You can speed up and speed down by just pressing the buttons.
- The foot switch is very responsive and functional.
- Foot switch is waterproof for splash or sprinkled water.
- Easy to read the display in bright sunlight.
- Takes a lot of space to store when not in use.
- Not suitable for GPS trolling motor.
- The foot switch is a little large for small boats.
2. Attwood 8M0092069 Wireless Foot Pedal
Attwood foot switch is an intuitive wireless foot pedal that provides you the flexibility to keep it anywhere on your boat. The motor control is very nice and uses a “heel-toe” operation.
The operation of the foot switch is fast, quiet, and precise. You get a variable speed controller with digital reading that enables trolling at a low speed and run the motor for a longer time. You would need two AA batteries to operate the foot switch.
You need to turn on the digital panel on your trolling motor, and it will search for the devices nearby. Once it searches, you can pair the foot switch with your trolling motor, and it will be ready to use.
- Wireless Trolling motor foot switch.
- Separate dial for adjusting speed.
- Dimensions of the foot switch are 13 x 9 x 4 inches.
- Operated at a frequency of 2.4 GHz.
- Foot Switch is compatible with all Xi series trolling motors.
- Pivot pedal toe-down to move right and heel-down to move left.
- Pinpoint GPS offers users enhanced functionality.
- Freedom to keep the wireless pedal anywhere on your boat.
- Makes your fishing experience easy.
- Lithium batteries stay strong for days.
- You can connect up to four wireless pedals parallelly with your trolling motor.
- Takes time to get used to as the foot switch is oversensitive at times.
- Direction change is not slow.
- Sometimes, you need to take the batteries out to shut the pedal off.
3. Seachoice 28101 Foot Control Switch
If you are looking for a comfortable option to operate your manually operated (hand-operated) trolling motor, the Seachoice foot pedal is a great option to opt for hands-free operation. The switch mounts to the deck of your boat and connected in series with positive lead prior to the plug.
With the foot switch you can switch on the trolling motor by pressing with your foot without any need to reach the trolling motorhead… so you can sit and turn the trolling motor on. The foot switch also offers a feature as continuous “on” mode, which can keep the motor on till you switch it off; you need to just flip the lever to attain the mode.
- Foot pedal rated up to 50 amps DC.
- Dimensions of the foot switch are 9.2 x 11.8 x 6.5 inches.
- You get 34 inches to wire leads with the switch.
- Continuous “ON” mode with lever flip.
- 15 degrees tilt angle for easy operation.
- Easy to install.
- Quick and efficient control.
- You can run the foot switch on both 12V and 24V trolling motors.
- Better quality and durable material.
- Great for people who want to turn their hand steer to foot steer.
- The foot switch drains a lot of battery.
- The continuous “ON” mode is trouble at high speed.
- The foot pedal is not waterproof.
- A bump sometimes turns it on when the motor is in off position.
4. T-H Marine FCS-2-DP Sure Foot Switch
Another compact and easy to use cable steer foot switch to operate your manually operated trolling motors with a comfortable experience using your foot. The foot pedal offers you the ease of turning on your motor by simply pressing down on the switch with your foot.
There is a constant switch on this pedal that will turn on if you flip the lever… and keeps the trolling motor on for an easy experience while sailing. Sure foot trolling motor foot switch features a 15-degree tilt angle offering you the ease of operation.
- The foot pedal is rated up to 50 AMPs DC.
- Compact and small design.
- Dimensions of the foot switch are 8.5 x 6.4 x 0.6 inches.
- Continuous “ON” mode with a flip lever.
- The foot pedal weighs 6.4 ounces.
- 15 degrees tilt angle for easy usage.
- Easy operation for manually controlled trolling motors.
- Installation is easy if you can splice wire.
- Durable and last for years.
- No more reaching over the motor head to turn it on or off.
- Heavy duty and well-functioning.
- Works great for a 12 volt, 55lb thrust trolling motor.
- Connectors need to be purchased separately.
- Wire length is short.
- No variable speed control function.
- The bar is made of plastic and would break if pushed hard.
5. MinnKota Riptide ST Replacement Corded Foot Pedal
MinnKota Riptide foot switch has an aesthetic appeal and is made using high-quality material for indoor as well as outdoor uses. The foot pedal has a low profile design offering dual steering options.
You can use the rotary speed control dial to change the speed of your trolling motor. With the help of your heel and toe, you can use left or right steering options to change the direction of your boat. There is also a constant on the switch, which will keep the switch a push away to operate.
- Corded foot pedal with versatile control.
- AutoPilot On/Off toggle.
- Constant “ON” switch.
- Dimensions of the foot switch are 6.2 x 10.5 x 15 inches.
- Rotary speed control dial.
- High-Quality material makes it sturdy.
- 17 inches cord wire attached with the pedal.
- Plug and play connectivity.
- Versatile compatibility.
- You can focus on important stuff like fishing instead of hand steering.
- Works great when used with a remote controller.
- Comfortable and less straining on legs after long days on the water.
- Cord long enough to operate the switch anywhere in the boat.
- Spot lock is not there with the foot switch.
- The flat design makes it tough to operate while sitting.
- Take a bit more space of boat deck.
What to Look For Before Buying a Trolling Motor Foot Switch?
Below are some factors that you should consider while buying a foot switch for your trolling motor.
1. The number of controls – A trolling motor foot switch can offer ON/OFF functionality as well as feature a greater number of controls including speed adjustment, direction control, etc. So, you can look for the number of controls a foot switch offers and choose a pedal offering more options.
2. Compatibility – All the boat switches might not be compatible with your trolling motor. E.g., the wireless foot switch would require a digital trolling motor that can detect and pair the pedal. So, make sure you check the foot switch is compatible with your trolling motor before you buy it.
3. Display – Some foot switch might include a digital display that keeps you aware of the speed, direction, or status of the trolling motor like it is off or on. The display panel can help you have a quick look while you are focusing on other activities.
4. Space – As we have three types of foot switch available for your trolling motor, you can choose those best suits your purpose. For a small boat, you can have a standard foot switch, but if you have more space in your boat and require frequent movement, then you can prefer a wireless foot switch.
5. Continuous operation – There are foot pedals that offer you an option that can turn the trolling motor to continuous “ON” mode, and you don’t need to keep your foot all the time on the pedal… and is very helpful if you have long day boating needs.
6. Design – The foot pedal you choose would be great if it is comfortable and comes with a footrest and an ergonomic stepping. It would make the switch easy to use while you are sitting or standing on the pedal.
A trolling motor foot switch can be very helpful for fishermen as they might need to keep your attention towards fishing rather than controlling the trolling motor with hand steer.
However, it might be difficult to stand on one foot if you have long days on the water. But, the foot switch gives for freedom to move and fight a better angle for fishing.
- 5 Best Solar Charger for Trolling Motor Battery
- 7 Best Trolling Motor Plugs Buyer’s Guide
- 10 Best Trolling Motor Battery (Ultimate Guide)