Who would like to have loose or broken wires for your trolling motor battery charger, especially when you have to connect and disconnect the charger frequently? Obviously, no one. For portable chargers, not hardwired to your boat… a trolling motor plug is an essential device.
A good trolling motor plug lets you get rid of all the stress and hassle that you would otherwise face while disconnecting the trolling motor.
What is a Trolling Motor Plug
A trolling motor plug is a small device or connector that helps to connect your battery with the trolling motor. It plays an important role in making the trolling motor connection in your boat as it makes you comfortable with wiring tasks.
It usually works like other connectors or plugs and has two parts… plug and receptacle. Electric current flows from the battery to the trolling motor when you plug in the plug into the receptacle, and the electric connection is disabled when you remove the plug.
Types of Trolling Motor Plugs
There are basically two types of trolling motor plugs as below:
- Single Voltage Design – These types of trolling motor plugs usually will support a 12V trolling motor battery. You cannot connect multiple batteries to this plug and can’t use a heavy voltage battery as it would cause heating issues.
- Universal Design – These types of trolling motor plug feature multiple wires that allow you to connect dual or triple battery systems, or you can connect those wires to a heavy voltage battery. Like if a trolling motor plug supports 36 volts, you can connect three 12V batteries to the plug.
Benefits of Trolling Motor Plugs
Below are some of the advantages of having a good quality trolling motor plug:
- You never end up in the loosening of connections of your trolling motor.
- No excessive wire heating issues or sparkling issues like open wires.
- No need for assembling the wires every time you connect and disconnect.
- Trolling motor plugs are lightweight connectors and can be easily replaced.
- It makes your trolling motor storage and maintenance easy without any complicated wiring.
- Very helpful if you have portable trolling motor chargers as it needs frequent connection and disconnection.
Our 7 Best Trolling Motor Plugs
We have gathered some of the amazing motor power plugs to make your choice easy.
Marinco 12VCPS3 Trolling Motor Plug
- It has a compact and comfortable design.
- The corrosion-resistant plug is great for saltwater conditions.
- The waterproof sealing cap provides extra safety.
- You can connect both 2 and 3 pin type wires.
- Heavy-duty and easy to install.
- The plug doesn’t get warm, and the motor performs better.
- No power drop.
- Threaded locknut on the back of the receptacle easily strips out.
- No instructions on disassembling the male end.
- The cap on the receptacle is loose.
Marinco trolling motor plug is a multi-functional plug featuring a universal design that allows you for two or three-wire configurations. The receptacle is well designed using brass plated electric components that make the plug corrosion resistant.
The motor plug features an integrated keyed and strain relief design with a thumbprint locator that provides you the comfort while frequently connecting and disconnecting the trolling motor to the battery.
You can use the universal fit designed plug for your 12 volts or 24-volt battery or can use for a dual 12/24 volts battery or 24/36 volts battery, or you can use it for a heavy load 36 volts or 48 volts battery systems also.
- The plug features 70A continuous rating.
- Dimensions of the plug are 9 x 9 x 3 inches.
- It accepts up to 6 AWG wire.
- The motor plug is corrosion-resistant.
- Durable plated brass components.
- Universal fit design.
- Watertight sealing cap
- Integrated keyed and strain relief design.
MotorGuide Accessories, trolling Motor Power Receptacle
- Quick and easy installation.
- It can easily connect your trolling battery up to 36 volts.
- The cover protects the receptacle when not in use.
- Great flexibility in trolling motor mounting position choice.
- Durable construction.
- The fit is very tight and difficult for the plugin.
- The prongs corrode and snap off.
- Water gets into the plug under the spring-loaded cap
MotorGuide is a well-known high-quality brand known for trolling motor accessories and is manufacturing the products from 50 years. Most of the PinPoint GPS systems and noise-free motors are developed by Motor guide only.
The motor plug features 2-prong, which can connect the single battery and supports 12 volts, 24 volts, as well as 36 volts motors. The trolling motor plug is good for bow mount installation trolling motors, and the receptacle is versatile to adapt options for trolling motor mounting locations.
MotorGuide motor plug features a sturdy construction that makes the plug durable and long-lasting. It also includes a spring-loaded and hinged cover, which protects the receptacle when it is not plugged in or in use.
- Two prong design for 12V, 24V, and 36V receptacle.
- Dimensions of the plug are 5 x 6.4 x 10.1 inches.
- Bow Panel installation.
- Hinged and Spring-loaded cover.
- Goes well along with number 6 wire.
MinnKota Trolling Motor Plug
- Mounting locking ring for rear access installation.
- Drain holes keep the water away from electric components.
- Easy to install and use.
- Watertight sealing cap.
- Corrosion-resistant components make the plug suitable for saltwater marine conditions.
- It is very hard to unplug.
- The plug is not waterproof.
- You need a torch to heat up and push the wire to connect.
- Not for saltwater conditions.
MinnKota has become a successful brand with their huge efforts since 1934 on manufacturing trolling motors, shallow water anchors, plugs, and other innovative accessories that help you to enjoy your time on the water.
The motor plug features universal design for 2 or 3 wire configurations, including black, red, and orange wires. Red to black is for 24 volts connection, and orange to black is for 12 volts connection. You can change between the two using a switch on your trolling motor.
The plug and the receptacle features a sealing cap that is watertight and has brass plated electric components that make the product corrosion resistant, increasing durability.
- Both two-wire and three-wire connections available.
- Dimensions of the plug are 2 x 6 x 5 inches.
- MinnKota motor plug supports 16 to 8 gauge wire.
- The maximum amperage rating is 50 amps.
- Weather-resistant and corrosion-resistant.
Attwood 14365-6 Heavy-Duty Male connector
- Good quality plug and installs easily.
- A normal tape or heat seal makes your connection secure.
- The plug features a tight connection.
- The plug doesn’t get hot after hours of usage.
- You need a good crimping tool to install it.
- 2 wire plug design.
- It won’t support motors more than 12 volts.
- Female plug connectors need to be bought separately.
Attwood is another great brand that is delivering high-quality products for more than 100 years, including custom upholstery, seating, swim ladders, pedestals, fuel systems, and marine accessories that are easy to install, and are reliable in terms of quality.
The motor plug features 6-inch wire leads and butt connectors with straight forward two prongs that can support a battery system up to 12 volts. You can connect them for your small boats, kayak, and other places where you have a single battery system, or you can charge one battery at a time.
The motor side plug or male connector is equipped with wing tabs that make it easy to install and remove. The advanced design of the heavy-duty connector ensures to give stable connections in all weathers.
- Composed of two 8 gauge wires.
- Dimensions of the male connector are 4.25 x 15 x 4.43 inches.
- Rated up to 60 amps.
- Features Keyed plug lineup.
- Supports 12 volts battery system.
- 6-inch wire harnesses with butt connectors.
Attwood Trolling Motor Male Connector
- Quick and convenient connection.
- You can use it for two batteries simultaneously.
- It features a 6-inch long harness with butt connectors.
- Easy installation and removal.
- It works great and no issues like loose connections.
- Instructions for wire usage and color code are great.
- You need to buy a female connector separately.
- The plug is not waterproof.
Attwood corporation puts a lot of effort to be a leader in manufacturing, testing, and engineering good quality marine products and the particular trolling motor plug is another high-quality and durable construction product from Attwood featuring 3 wire design.
The trolling motor plug is a male connector, but unlike the previous product, it features a universal design that you can use for your dual battery systems. You can connect a 12-volt battery and a 24 volts battery for your trolling motor parallelly using the plug.
The male connector features a long 10-gauge wire that allows flexibility for your trolling motor mounting. The wires are of three colors… black, yellow, and light blue. Yellow and black wires are used for 12v motors, and blue wires are used for 24 volts motors. The plug also features wing tabs that help to disconnect the trolling motor easily.
- 3 plug flexible design.
- Dimensions of the male connector are 7.5 x 3.9 x 3.4 inches.
- The wire size is 10 gauge.
- The connector supports 12/24Volts trolling motors.
- Wing tabs for easy removal and installation.
Attwood MotorGuide Trolling Motor Power Plug
- Solid and works very well.
- The motor plug is easy to install.
- Includes crimps on the connectors.
- Great replacement for older boats.
- The motor plug uses durable copper wires.
- Weather-resistant receptacle caps.
- The motor plug features a smooth plugin and plugs out.
- MotorGuide has drilled four holes, but only two are used.
- You cannot use it for dual or triple battery motors.
- The diameter of the rubber connector is a little large to fit.
- The wires are about six inches long.
As the brand is manufacturing the products for more than 100 years, you get a wide range of marine accessories to choose from. And the particular power plug is another 2 prong motor plugs with the ability to connect 12 volts, 24 volts, and 36 volts trolling motor power plug.
Motor Guide products provide anglers with precise and powerful products for nice boat control and also features accurate PinPoint GPS systems. This 2 prong motor plug contains two wires – red and black. The receptacle of the trolling motor plug is covered using hard plastic caps that can withstand any rough and stressful weather conditions.
The high-quality product provides a solid and safe connection for connecting your trolling motor to batteries. It supports heavy-duty motors as well as small boats.
- 2-prong motor power plug.
- The dimension of the motor plug is 9 x 4 x 3 inches.
- Supports 12 volts, 24 volts, and 36 volts motors.
- Solid and safe connection for your trolling motors.
- Secured ends for the receptacle.
Pactrade Marine Boat Trolling Boat Plug Set
- The motor plug fits snuggly.
- Both male and female connectors work great.
- The wire end connectors make the plug sockets weather resistant.
- 3-wire plug sockets can connect dual batteries at the same time.
- Quick and easy connections.
- High-quality plastic socket set.
- The plug set is not watertight.
- Plastic connectors tend to break faster than metals.
- Heavy sunlight may lead to cracks and damage.
If you wish not to buy male and female connectors separately for your trolling motor and you don’t have a replacement requirement for one of the connectors; you can go for Pactrade Marine trolling motor plug set which contains both male plug connector and female receptacle.
The plug set features 3-wire trolling motor plug set with red butt connectors that include 1 male motor side plug socket and 1 female boat side plug for your trolling motor. You can connect both 12 volts and 24 volts motors using the plug set.
Marine boat trolling boat plug set features 8 gauge wire leads and uses high-quality plastic for durability. In the power plug socket set, you also get the plastic connector caps… that are included for each of the wire ends for both the male connector and female motor plug connector
- 1 male boat side socket and 1 female boat side socket.
- 3-wire design with butt connectors.
- The weight of the motor plug set is 9.6 ounces.
- It features 8 gauge wire leads.
- The motor plug supports both 12 volts and 24 volts motor.
Buying Guide for Trolling Motor Plug
While you are choosing your trolling motor plug, you would see a variety of choices, and it would be a little tough to decide which option to choose. We have listed down some factors that would help to make your choice easy.
1. Materials Used – You would surely love to have a device connector that is durable and strong. Usually, the trolling motor plugs contain components that are brass plated, which makes the plugs reliable. You get molded rubber connectors and watertight sealing cap as safety materials in some of the plugs that would be an additional advantage.
2. Resistant to Corrosion – As time passes, the green corrosion can build up on the trolling motor plug, which can lead to battery damage. The high-quality material with brass makes the plug corrosion resistant. You can also use a good lubricant that you can spray on the plug to avoid corrosion.
3. Compatibility – As all of the plugs won’t feature a universal design… it is important to check that the trolling motor plug you are choosing will fit your motor. If you use a single battery for a small boat, you can go for any design… but if you have heavy load batteries or dual battery system, you should choose a universal design motor plug.
4. Marine Conditions – Your marine conditions make your job a little tough while choosing your trolling motor plug. If you sail or work in salty water conditions or face a lot of weather issues, you would need a high-quality plug. Make sure you buy an anti-rust plug and prefer mounting it away the drain holes to avoid any disfunction.
5. Mounting Complexity – As you would require disconnecting your plug multiple times, especially if you use it for portable chargers, prefer to choose a plug that is easy to mount with your motor. The mounting of the plug to the motor and plugging unplugging should be a comfortable task. For proper connections, the female end goes in the deck, and the male end has holes. You can also choose a plastic winch plug to attach to your motor.
Trolling motor plugs are easily available, and there is so much variety to choose from. They are very helpful in keeping your motor and battery in a healthy condition without any breaking connections or loose wires… and make your sailing or fishing jobs much easier without any worry or hassles.
Connecting the complicated wires every time can be annoying, but a trolling motor plug makes the wiring easy to manage with the power connection points.